JAKARTA - Global stock markets fell again on Friday (4/4) yesterday, making the S&P 500 lose up to US$5 trillion in market capitalisation since the announcement of tariffs by US President Donald Trump on Wednesday (2/4).

The Nasdaq also confirmed the bearish market, with the Nasdaq composite index falling 5.82% on Friday. The index, which is dominated by technology stocks, has fallen at least 20% more than its highest level.

Meanwhile, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) fell 5.50% on Friday, adding to the decline from its highest level to 10% since 4 December 2024.

‘It's kind of a worst-case fear on the direction of the tariff programme that US President Donald Trump announced,’ said Rick Mekcler, Partner at Cherry Lane Investments, a US investment holding company, as quoted by Reuters.

Rick added that some investors may believe that this policy is just a negotiation effort. But so far, Rick said, ‘more people are seeing the negative impact on many listed companies.’

As previously reported by IDNFinancials.com, Trump announced reciprocal tariffs on 52 trading partners on Wednesday.

The US imposed the highest reciprocal tariff on Laos (48%). Meanwhile, Indonesia was hit with a tariff of 32%. (KR/LM)